Thursday, June 18, 2009

Making time for my other relationship...

Now that we have a baby it is hard to remember what life was like before, the sad part is that it has only been 3 weeks. I find myself thinking back to those days when I got at least 5 hours of sleep at night, I spent more than 30 min collectively preparing and eating food each day, and I had time to spend with that special someone in my life...and Angie too. That special someone doesn't even have a name, they are just a concept and a feeling. They are freedom, liberation, pain, joy, sweat, dirt, ecstasy and speed.

My bikes (yes I have two...and am proud of it, I love them individually and equally for their strengths and they are fine with it...don't judge) have always had a special place in my heart and garage (never outside...for shame), but as of late my bikes and I have drifted apart. True last summer we trained for a triathlon together, but after that wonderful summer fling we separated and they didn't get touched again (except for moving around the country) for a year. The summer is almost over we have only been out once, and the neglect is starting to show. They are too clean, look too new, and quite literally, just hang around all day. I, on the other hand, look too old, too round, and too soft.

It is obvious that these are desperate times, so I have come up with a plan...
I am going to bike to work.

The 11 miles should take me around 45 minutes, about the same time that I spend walking to and riding MAX on a good day (on a bad day my I don't have my phone, the max is broken and I don't get home for 3 hours). This will be time for me to rekindle that relationship that has been put on the back burner for far too long, and hopefully save time in the long run.

As much as I really want to sacrifice for this relationship, I also understand that it will be difficult (mile 22 kicked my butt on my last ride), so I don't plan on biking every day to and from work to start out. I will cheat and ride max part of the way on the way back some days, or however it works out. Also, this will probably only last until it gets really cold...being cold is not fun at 25 mph.


Here is a map of the rout that I plan on taking, what do you think?

7 comments:

Angie said...

Glad to hear that I'm the number one in your life, dear.

Looks like a good route! Nothing that I see myself doing, but, more power to ya. And your legs!

scluff said...

I love that you guys converse through your blog, probably out of necessity now that you aren't ever awake in the same room together at the same time.

Cory said...

It's always nice to rekindle old loves...like Hero Quest. (I haven't gotten anyone else to play it with me since you guys left.) :-)

Anna W said...

1. You do not look old.
2. This will be so healthy for you! Good job!

Brett said...

Nice plan - sounds like a good way to stay fit and change things up. Maybe I should join the club ...

Malinda Jane Sieg said...

Hey there! I am so glad you started a blog!!!! Well, I'm glad I found it and SO HAPPY to see that you have a little baby boy! Boys are SO MUCH FUN! I think about you and your honeybun every now and then and have wondered how you are. I am glad to see that all is well. I still am so grateful to you for watching Mason last Summer when we had our doctors appointment. Right after we picked him up we went in for a ultrasound and found out that we had miscarried. However, just having you guys do something so kind for us helped us. We felt loved from the get-go. Anyway, thanks again. Good luck adjusting to motherhood! It only gets easier and more fun (not that it isn't wonderful from the start. It is just really hard at times). Take care!--malinda

BECKY said...

"Summer is almost over"... uh WHAT??? I sure hope not!

I bike to work but it only takes me a couple minutes. I say do it!