Saturday, April 4, 2009

My Taste of Pain


So, I've had a relatively pain-free pregnancy, which I consider a huge blessing.  However, I spent the last couple of days lying in bed simply because, I couldn't get up!  The little guy (bless his heart), squirmed into the most awkward and uncomfortable position, causing what I would label as excruciating pain!  Every time I flexed my abs (which happens more often than you'd think) I felt like my insides were on fire.  Sitting down, walking, or moving at all became painful a task. 

 

Kirk did a wonderful job taking care of me (loading me up with food and helping to the bathroom and such).  I told him that I could really go for an epidural right about then, but unfortunately he was all out L  As you can tell – I have an incredibly high tolerance for pain. 

 

I knew wasn’t going into early labor or anything, but I called the hospital just ask my doctor a couple questions before the office closed for the weekend.  After talking with the nurse for about a half hour, she said: “Well, why don’t you just come in to the Labor and Delivery Ward so they can do some monitoring and then send you on your way home.” 

 

This is what I heard:  “Let’s increase the pain by making you move more than necessary!!!  Get out of bed (a challenge in and of itself),  Go down the stairs (one of my biggest dreads since being pregnant), drive to the hospital (yeah right), and get hooked up to a bunch of machines, just so that they can tell you everything’s okay and send you home 10 minutes later!”


I didn’t feel like doing all that (I would have made myself go if I felt like it was necessary or if I was actually in labor).  Instead I took a bath and felt much better.  Then I ate yummy ice cream while Kirk and I watched “Hello Dolly” - a classic.  


(Random Trivia: the name Dolly is a nickname for Dorothy, and was a very popular name until the thirties when it was adapted as the name of a cute child's toy - making it a hard name to take seriously.  I had to look it up in one of my baby name books after watching the movie)


I’m feeling much better today by the way.

4 comments:

Karissa said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! I wonder how that happened... crazy baby! ;-)

BECKY said...

Oh wow... all the things I can look forward to someday! Glad you're feeling better! Keep on keepin' on!

Marah said...

Yeah, avoid the hospital until you're actually in labor. Good job.

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

Glad you're feeling better. Oh, so about the music...if you're doing it like mine from playlist.com, once you have your list made,there's a "post my playlist" link. That will take you to a page where you choose whether to post it to facebook, myspace, etc. Click on the Myspace one and go through the steps and it will end up with an html thing that you copy and paste onto your blog. I assume since you have other stuff on the side, you know how to add html links. If not, just go to page layout on your blog and look for it. Let me know if you have any more questions.