Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas Cards

Yes! I did it! TWO posts in one month! I'm on a roll!

So Christmas cards.

I had every intention of sending out Christmas cards this year. In fact I still do. After all, we had a kid, bought a house, and didn't go bankrupt this year! I think that merits mentioning along with a nice family picture.

Here's how it didn't happen:

I was super excited for Nolan to turn 6 months old on Nov 29 - partly because I get to dress him up in some outrageously cute outfit and have the traditional 6 month pictures taken. Well, the actual day wasn't too good for us so I planned on doing it later that week. That week got busy. So I scheduled an appointment at the photo studio for the following week.

However, I had a genius idea to have a family picture taken at the same time - then we can have a picture for Christmas cards all ready to go! I quickly rescheduled for a time when Kirk could join us after work.

When that day showed up so did some complications and pictures were the last thing we wanted to do. So I rescheduled (yet again). This was now the Monday before Christmas. Cutting it close, but I could still do it.

Well, when that Monday rolled around I got up early to shower and look decent, only to learn that Kirk was not feeling well. Bummer. I decided to still take Nolan in for his 6 month pictures anyway. I could at least send those in a Christmas card.

Drove to the studio.

Had a hard time finding the place.

Showed up too late for the appointment.

No other appointments available before Christmas.

Frustration.

Okay I cried. I'm just trying to be a good MOM and get pictures taken of my child before he grows up!!! Is that too much to ask!?! Hello!?!? And that's when I realized that this was more about me than him. Does my self worth as a mother really lay in living up to the traditions of my parents!?!?

Yes.

But the point is, that's why I didn't send out Christmas cards this year. I still plan on having Nolan's 6 month pictures taken someday (although he's over 7 months now). And I could always send out New Years cards, right? Or Presidents Day cards? Or something!

So to as a treat for all of you, here is the only picture I have of the three of us all together:




Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Genuine Draft said...

I think our family does the traditional picture at 1 year. That way we weren't drooling too much and we could sit up and stuff.

BECKY said...

I would have cried too. But a President's Day picture sounds just fine! So guess what... we're expecting! I'll post about it soon!

Piper said...

I didn't send off my Christmas/New Year letter until the 2nd of January, so I'm right there with you. I also found it a pain to get Rowan's photo done, and we didn't even try for a formal family photo!